0844 335 0897* | info@bafe.org.uk

Specifying maintenance of portable fire extinguishers

Specifying maintenance of portable fire extinguishers

Information regarding using third party certified companies for your fire extinguisher maintenance requirements.

If you are specifying a BAFE registered company to provide maintenance services on your fire extinguishers, approved companies will be third party certified from one of the nine UKAS accredited certification bodies licensed to deliver the BAFE Competency of Portable Fire Extinguisher Organisations and Technicians SP101 scheme:


• BSI (British Standards Institution)
• Certification International (UK) Ltd
• IEC (Independent European Certification Ltd)
• Alcumus ISOQAR
• LPCB (Loss Prevention Certification Board)
• NQA (National Quality Assurance)
• NSI (National Security Inspectorate)
• Sira Certification Ltd
• SSAIB (Security Systems Alarm Inspection Board)

Alongside the company being audited to achieve BAFE SP101 registration, all BAFE registered technicians affiliated with a SP101 company are assessed and have all passed the exam ‘Theory and practice of servicing portable fire extinguishers in accordance with the requirements of BS 5306 Parts 3 and 8’ with ongoing refreshers and assessments every three years. This therefore provides evidence of their competency to provide these services and shows you have acted with due diligence in finding providers for this work.

Specify: BAFE registration for Competency of Portable Fire Extinguisher Organisations and Technicians (SP101) Scheme

You can verify a company’s BAFE registration(s) via the BAFE website search tool or by contacting the BAFE office info@bafe.org.uk / call 0844 335 0897


Return to BAFE Guide for Specifiers and Buyers


What is BAFE?

If you require fire safety services for your premises use BAFE. BAFE is the independent register of quality fire safety service providers, who are certified to ensure quality and competence to help meet your fire safety obligations.

Read More

Where do I begin with fire safety for my building?

Legal obligations nationwide require the appointed responsible person for fire safety for commercial/non-domestic premises to have adequate fire protection.

Read More

What is Third Party Certification?

Third Party Certification is the best assurance of quality when looking for a provider to help meet your fire safety requirements.

Read More