BAFE® Latest News
NFCC Publish Fire Safety Risk Assessment Guidance
Thursday 2nd November 2017
National Fire Chiefs Council issue best practice when sourcing a provider to fulfil your fire risk assessment.
The National Fire Chiefs Council have published Fire Safety Risk Assessment Guidance on their website, including simple steps and precautions that can be taken to help verify the competence and suitability of a prospective contractor:
- Be satisfied that the fire risk assessor who carries out the work is competent. This can be demonstrated by them providing evidence of compliance with the competency criteria set down by the Fire Risk Assessment Competency Council.
- Check that they have experience of working for your kind of business and premises.
- Be clear about the scope of the work to be carried out and ensure that the assessor is provided with access to all areas of the premises and with relevant information.
- Obtain alternative quotes - make sure they all cover the same scope, so you can draw a proper comparison.
- It is advisable to request references from previous clients in similar premises types; ask them if they were satisfied and if any problems were later identified by the Fire and Rescue Authority.
- It is advisable to ask for proof that they have sufficient professional indemnity insurance and to seek assurance that the contractor is impartial and has a complaints procedure.
- Keep and maintain records of the steps you took in selecting your fire risk assessor.
Third party certificated BAFE SP205 registered providers can help meet your fire risk assessment responsibilities and have been audited by a UKAS accredited third party certification body to ensure their competence to deliver this service.
BAFE SP205 Life Safety Fire Risk Assessment third party certification is listed in the FRACC's Competency Criteria for Fire Risk Assessors which is available with the NFCC Guidance:
To find a BAFE SP205 registered provider near you for your fire risk assessment requirements you can use our search tool or contact the BAFE office for further information.
BAFE Kitchen Fire Protection Consultation now live Friday 12th January 2018
Christmas and New Year Opening Hours Thursday 14th December 2017
BAFE Respond to Scottish Government Fire Consultation Friday 1st December 2017
Find a BAFE® Registered Company